My 1st semester experience at a global pedestal [North Cyprus University] by Keith Kanombirira | PART 2


If you missed the PART 1, CLICK HERE - 

[Continued...] ... The queues were energy draining, moving slow. Eventually, it was my turn, greeting the lady behind the counter with a high energetic tone, and then she bombarded me with some Turkish words which at that time felt like a blast to my face, looking at her other work mate, she replied in something that I did not understand, remained still, with my shoulders and head raised, she went mute. Fortunate enough her counterpart then asked how can I help you, everything lightened up during that moment, and the good part about it she then gave me the flexibility to choose the nationality of the roommates that I wanted to live with, since some were just being chosen randomly, and with that fear of at the current time living with people who you literally cannot communicate with made me to choose a room which had my fellow brothers from Zimbabwe, this had taught me a lot in terms of making pivotal decisions regarding what I want to venture in. Yurt ‘dorm’ 4, room 408, she wrote it on the paper which I had to present to the dormitory officer.

I vividly remember thanking her a lot since it gave relief to both my mother and sister Patience Kanombirira who i was communicating with during that period because the registration period was somehow straining to me however everything was settled. I had to transfer all my bags to the new room that was on the fourth floor. We took time to get to know each other, get to know our neighbors since it was helpful in adjusting to the prevail.

Keith Kanombirira
Lectures had already started but were not yet on a high tone as what it does in the middle or towards the end of the semester, the first lecture which I attended was chemistry, the teacher was a Turkish lady, very energetic and strict as compared to the other lecturers, upon arrival of every student she highlighted that she does not tolerate late comers or those who use mobile phones in her lectures in a way that inflicted fear like no one other including much older students. Her accent, i struggled to clearly get it since her English was inclined to the Turkish tone, but with time I was absorbing it all.

Since it was the first time everyone from different nations took it as an opportunity to greet each other and at that point one could hear different tones and styles, the way people from the other hemisphere greet each, from the famous “how far” which is done by Nigerians to “selam” by Arabs which mostly were people from Iraq, Palestine, Jordan, Dubai, lastly “merhaba” by our host country. This subject was easy to me since it was basically revision of what mostly I had done during my years in high school. The physics lecturer hauled all the way from Italy though he had been teaching in Istanbul for some time before he decided to come to Cyprus, so he was more familiar with being in a Turkish environment. His accent was more Italian, I met resistance in this subject because of the way it was being dished out.

Trying to adjust, the lecturer advising us to rub of all the knowledge we had acquired from high school emphasizing that university was much more different henceforth what you previously know cannot be applied with respect to the context to be covered. I agreed to fall into this trap, which made me have a mark that was mediocre out of bound of my mark band, furthermore I had not adequately studied hard for that exam since it was my first, having little knowledge of the typical questions which are set. Even though a few days before the exam, I had talked to a few of my Nigerians doing engineering who were somehow reserved and just said it all depends with the teacher, some are hard while some are easy which now I understand what my brothers from the west were trying to imply. All he wanted to do was to cover the syllabus but on the expense of the other students who faced tough challenges, it all soon began to flow smoothly on my part. Moving on to the mathematics, which I can say it was my best course, which i attribute the lump sum of it all to my lecturer Mr Abba Auwalu from Nigeria, who was very patient with us as the students since he took every principle from the ground and taking his time to add the flesh to the bone, moulding it like plasticine.

On my part I excelled excellently with help of the teacher stamped with the enormous hard work that I had to put in day in, day out. In a nutshell I continue to swim in this sea of adventure full of 'un-expectations', continuing to unlock the different phases of life as I build my journey of a tourney since there is indeed light at the end of the tunnel for those who are willing to burn the mid night oil and go an extra mile with that affinity to achieve inching them towards their main goal .

****

Written by Keith Kanombirira (NEU)

Contact me on:
FACEBOOK ---- www.facebook.com/keith.kanos
INSTAGRAM---- www.instagram.com/keithworldwide
TWITTER— twitter.com/keithworldwide
EMAIL---- keithtawanda@gmail.com
PHONE MUMBER----- 05338845839

****



To send your write-ups to us for publishing, email writers@scantygela.com or SUBMIT ONLINE | MORE INFO? Click Here . This service is FREE. 

1 comment:

  1. Rock it! Roll it! Have some Viceroy. And try to find a place to go out for a drink where they play some cool vinyl records. I'm sure you can find. Ask around. Turks
    are cool. You might even want to offer to be the dj on certain nights. Makopokopo.

    ReplyDelete

Please keep your comments civil and to the point. Any off remark on gender, racism, etc will be deleted.
................................................................................................................................................................

Disclaimer: Comments on this blog are not written by the owner, therefore, the blog owner will not be liable for any comment made by readers. Privacy Policy | Terms and Conditions | Contact Us |

_

RealTalk Undressed